Sunday, December 5, 2010

Baby, Sex, and Thanksgiving

Knitting...

Presently, we are 15 weeks pregnant. When I last left you in this blog, we were only 5 weeks pregnant. It's amazing how fast life can change within a 10 week period. I mean, this whole experience started with surprise, fear, excitement; now we are more calm, excited, and nervous.

5 through 13 weeks were full of nausea and an overall food-dislike. It seemed like nothing was appetizing and everything that I ate was either tasteless, or downright inedible. One minute I would crave Sunkist, the next day I loathed the sight of Sunkist. I couldn't buy a week's worth of groceries without wondering what I was going to waste this week because I began to hate it. Also, paired with a food dislike, was an upset stomach if you ate too much. So if I finally found a food that I loved.... well the meal would be eaten over a period of hours versus a sitting. I would have an aching stomach pain if I was hungry, or if I ate too much.
FINALLY, last week happened. Every food I can think of is delicious. I mean delicious. I've never had better oranges, tastier spaghetti, the most appetizing pickles in all of my life. Now granted my senses have sort of flip-flopped from before, right? Weeks before, food sucked; now all food is delicious and more awesome than what it was before I was pregnant. I could get used to this I think.

Loves Obsessions: Pickles, oranges, green beans, corn, creamed corn, watermelon, spaghetti, pizza.

I literally eat a can of corn for lunch some days, and then I'm hungry an hour later. Gosh, I'm hungry all the time now.

Friday night, while I was talking to Ben on the phone, I felt the baby move for the first time! It was exactly how I've read it would be. It happened where my button is on my jeans. I was laying flat on my stomach, and then I felt like someone's hand was inside my stomach, just lightly moving around. Then it stopped. Minutes later, it happened again. It's a wonderful feeling knowing that our little person is growing healthy, seemingly happy.

Baby's Sex

In other news, Ben and I have decided to wait to find out the sex of the baby until birth. I cannot speak for Ben, but I feel like it's something that should wait. I didn't know that I would feel this way, but now that I'm pregnant, I have a strong urge to wait. I just got used to the idea that I am having a baby, and I want to keep that sacred. A part of me feels like once I know it's a girl or a boy; that I'll lose that connection to him/her being a baby. We're currently building a soul of a human being, that's healthy, and that's all I want to know in this stage.

Letting It Sink In

This past Thanksgiving, I traveled to Cincinnati with Ben to spend time with his family that lives in Milford (suburb of Cincy). We spent a couple days there, and we really had a good chance to relax. In doing so, Ben rummaged up some old photo albums of his family and when he was a baby. This is me, with my 14 week baby bump looking through the genealogy of my love. Lot's of photos, beginning with years before Ben was even thought of. I enjoyed the photos from Alan and Phyllis' (ben's parents) wedding a lot too! It is such a lovely family, a wonderful history, and I felt lucky to get to peak into the Kilbarger's family past.

Ben aka Captain Awesome
As Ben shot this photo of me, he said something along the lines of, "This can go in our family album, so that our children can look back on us too." That's when it sunk in. Ben and I are a family. And even though this person has not greeted us yet, they are the beginning of our family, the beginning of our family history, the beginning of our own family albums.

When I looked at photos of Ben as a child, it makes me so anxious to want to meet our little person. Who will they look like? Who will they act like? What will they like to do? Gosh, looking at the photo to my left, I can't help but be reassured that they will be stinking adorable.

I cannot wait to kiss their little face, bite their cheeks, read to them, hold them, teach them, paint with them, hear them giggle, hold their hand, comfort their worry, sing to them, love them. 25 weeks to go.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Lacey! Beautiful :)
    Your little person is going to be so lucky to have you as a mama, you're going to be perfect..I can already tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this post, especially the last sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its such a great feeling isn't it. Knowing that you both have created such a amazing wonder. I still look at my kids and think, "wow, that is the product of Shawn and I, they developed inside of my body, and they are 100% perfect." I am so excited for you both! :)

    I think its wonderful that you are waiting to find out the sex. What a great surprise it will be! Makes the birth seem even more special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley: Thank you for your encouragement. I sure I hope I can hit the ground running with being a great momma.

    Ben: 25 weeks to go sounds lovely, doesn't it?

    Beth Ann: Thank you :-)

    Amanda: I am so baffled by how amazing this process is. I have been so detached from making a family that this is really my first time of relishing in the idea that you get to make a family this way. I feel so blessed that Ben and I were able to create this little person, and it's so overwhelming to know that our bodies together did this! I feel very lucky. Thank you for sharing in our excitement, we are so anxious to meet them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lacey! I'm so enjoying reading your blog and your experiences so far! I wish I had started documenting my pregnancy a little better, but somehow it's just slipped away from me. It's such an exciting thought, isn't it? Starting a family! Having your own photo albums and collections of memories, with your own traditions and stories that only you share. And how awesome that you felt the baby move! I'm at 20 weeks, and I haven't felt anything definitive yet, but I'm waiting with baited breath:)
    You are going to be such an amazing Mommy:) Keep up the good work on growing the little one!

    ReplyDelete